A few weeks ago, I did a second floral design party / workshop for the ladies of Sandpipers, an excellent community philanthropy and volunteer organization that I’m a part of. This was a fun social event for them, and I wanted to use bright spring into summer flowers and show them how to work with foam.
I decided on a low summery design surrounding cylinder vases, loosely inspired by this arrangement by Rainbow Flower Shop.
These workshops have been a great exercise in budget consciousness for me – I try to keep costs overall down for the girls, and my goal is also always to invest as much as I can in the flowers and as little in the hard goods to get the most bang for our buck. I decided to try to put the base together out of $1 items. I used these plates as a base, combined with these Dollar Tree cylinder vases.
The flowers in this arrangement were coral charm peonies, fuchsia stock, gomphrena, billy balls (craspedia), dahlias, “baby romantica” spray garden roses, and a pale peach “mozart” calla lily.
All told, these arrangements were about $30 each for us to make.
Here are the flowers conditioning at my house:
Here is the base- a single block of floral foam made two arrangements, so these use about an eighth of a block on each side, taped with floral tape around the cylinder to anchor it. I tucked in this Spanish Moss, also $1 a bag from Dollar Tree, to conceal my tracks.
I started with the peony as it was the focal flower (you can say that again: the peonies were in all honesty probably too big for this design and for the other flowers it included, but they are gorgeous, and I sure wasn’t going to leave them out or deprive the girls of getting to work with the lovely peonies!)
I added the other flowers next, cutting up each stem of stock into several “pom poms” to fill in gaps, and using every bit of the flower parts – roses and dahlias in bud form, rose leaves, etc:
The design gets a little more fleshed out. I was going to put floating candles on top of the calla, but the proportions weren’t working, and I preferred just the submerged calla to just the candle – though most of the girls in the workshop chose to use their calla in the design and float just the candle! You have to stay flexible in floral design, I’ve learned ; )
The finished arrangement- the clementines are on wood picks, and the spanish moss worked in to cover all holes:
Next post will be pics from the class itself!