Kelly and Ken’s Wedding – The Leftovers

As I discussed in the last post, I had TONS of leftover flowers from Kelly and Ken’s wedding.

I made a quickie potted arrangement for my office on Monday morning on my way out of the house.  It combines the flowers used in both the bridesmaid and bridal bouquets, and in a way I like it even better – it’s less monochromatic pink or cream and more of a mixture. This is in a wide ceramic pot, with the stems anchored by a grid of tape rather than in foam.  It contains:

3 cafe au lait dahlias, 4 stems of dusty miller, 3 pink ranunculus, 4 cream colored roses, 1 stem of tuberose, 2 stems of hypericum berries, 3 springs of silver brunia berry, 2 stems of peach-pink lisianthus, 4 fringed tulips, and 3 stems of ivory stock (just the tops).

Here it is photographed with some different settings for slightly different effects:

cafe au lait dahlias, bouquet, wedding, bridal, bridesmaids, diy, tutorial, how to, tuberose, dusty miller, hypericum, ranunculus, fringed tulips, roses, brunia

 

cafe au lait dahlias, bouquet, wedding, bridal, bridesmaids, diy, tutorial, how to, tuberose, dusty miller, hypericum, ranunculus, fringed tulips, roses, brunia

 

cafe au lait dahlias, bouquet, wedding, bridal, bridesmaids, diy, tutorial, how to, tuberose, dusty miller, hypericum, ranunculus, fringed tulips, roses, brunia

 

cafe au lait dahlias, bouquet, wedding, bridal, bridesmaids, diy, tutorial, how to, tuberose, dusty miller, hypericum, ranunculus, fringed tulips, roses, brunia

 

cafe au lait dahlias, bouquet, wedding, bridal, bridesmaids, diy, tutorial, how to, tuberose, dusty miller, hypericum, ranunculus, fringed tulips, roses, brunia

 

cafe au lait dahlias, bouquet, wedding, bridal, bridesmaids, diy, tutorial, how to, tuberose, dusty miller, hypericum, ranunculus, fringed tulips, roses, brunia

 

 

If anyone has additional tips or tricks to get those heavy dinner plate dahlia heads to face up rather than flat, straight OUT, it would be much appreciated.  By the end of this project, I was wiring them through the base of the head and using the support of the wire to nudge them up (anchoring with tape) – it was working OK, but was no magic prescription.

You definitely have less control over the shape of a design using these flowers – one side invariably ends up being kind of flat because that’s the shape and size of the flower after all, but to me it’s worth it.  I have found that the petals bruise easily and we all know the things are really heat sensitive – so overall, they’re one of the biggest pain in the butt flowers I know of to work with, but luckily they’re gorgeous, so they get away with it ; )  (They’re also a great bang for the buck when they’re in season, because they’re so big.  You could do a bridesmaid posy out of just three of the really huge ones, or a huge bouquet out of five, if you could get them to cooperate shape wise!)

 

August 19, 2011 - 11:59 am

Quintessential Lauren - Beautiful, you’re going to be so successful!

I actually “boiled” dahlias to condition them last week for a wedding and while it was incredibly scary, it worked! They were beautiful and didn’t have the heat sensitivity or bruising issues that I normally run into.

Boil water and put it in a heavy glass vase (so it doesn’t crack) and trim your stems, put them right in the hot water. Angle the blooms out of the steam and leave them out until you’re ready to design with them. Don’t put them back in the cooler.

No ideas on what to do with the bent heads, they usually just get a special spot in each design that works with their per-determined shape and direction.

August 20, 2011 - 10:29 am

Jan - Gorgeous – where can we get the Cafe Aulaits – we have tried several different vendors to no avail. I have been wiring all of our dahlias – but I am definately going to try the boiling. Best always – Jan

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

*

*