Speaking of flowers in unusual places, I came across this image on Pinterest (from the Trendy Traveler Tumblr, original source link no longer works) – how cool is this? There must be some sort of invisible fishing line supporting the weight of all of those flowers right? It’s so surreal and delightful…
In other news, an office buddy of mine and I have decided to go in on fresh flowers for our desks each Monday, which I will pick up en route to work (I have a Mayesh branch about a mile from my house, directly on my way to work, that’s open early of course – how lucky am I?) I will be arranging them quickly in my office, so they won’t be a chance to spread my wings super far, but they will be a fun opportunity to use new flower types, and get really proficient at small cube and bubble bowl type designs on a budget (we’re not going crazy since these are weekly office desk flowers).
This week was week 1. I picked up some antiquing blue-green hydrangea, some burgundy dahlias, some viburnum berries, and for the first time, worked with blackberries. Unfortunately I only have very low quality photos, here are a few. I’ll try to take cuter photos of the upcoming quickie office designs!
Thoughts on these ingredients: the viburnum was difficult to use non-wastefully in a round design like this – there are many stalks coming off of each branch, but i had to cut them off and didn’t use most of them because the chutes they were on were too short for the vases (sure they could be wired into a bouquet or something, but they do seem to dry out after a day or so out of water). The blackberries were so cool, but again lots wasted (they grow all down the stems), and they had a lot of dry cruddy leaves around the base of the berries (you can see it in the below photo; I tried to remove it but some snuck on there!). The antique hydrangea is lovely- I absolutely love those mottled leaves. However, I believe that antique hydrangea is just older / later season hydrangea, so there’s a fine line between cool antiquing and burnt spots (there were patches on this bunch of unattractive brown spots rather than the cool burgundy spots).
With these wilder type of ingredients, you have to be ready to clean them up a little before they’re ready for prime time (this was a messy process in the office; I might not be working with woody stemmed flowers in the future, or flowers that I have to do a lot of pruning on). But it was worth it to work with the blackberries for the first time, and to get a little taste of late Summer / early fall in my office all week!
(and p.s. those random brunia berries were left overs from Kelly’s wedding, now almost 2 weeks ago! They never wither!)