Today the saga concludes! On day 3 of the large scale design class, we had some more demos to illustrate specific concepts, and then did a free design project.
Here, a demo of the idea that taking something simple and standard (a carnation pommander) and placing it in a structure of some sort (in this case, a tripod made of bamboo poles), makes it feel much more important as a design element. True enough!
This was cool – Leanne took two halves of the same type of pommander, and wood picked them together on opposite sides of a grid wall- in a real wedding, this could be very cool done on two sides of a gate or fence, or on the side of an arbor / arch
Here’s the beginning of a demo by teacher Kathy- it was to show how you can use horizontal space in addition to vertical when you’re making large scale designs, and how possible it is to make a big impact without tons of flowers. The base is an outdoor candleholder of some sort from Ikea – one of Leanne and David’s favorite container sources, and mine!
I loved this next demo, because it involved a very cool manipulation of ti leaves! They were just slit lengthwise three times but with the edges left in tact, and fanned out like so:
Manipulated ti leaves detail:
And now, on to my own class project – it started with very tall red dogwood branches in a concrete base, contained in a paper garden liner. I placed foam all over the base:
And taped and stapled everything in place for security:
The other foam I used were several little foam cages, anchored with bind wire. One side had a single bigger foam igloo, and this one had one of the Oasis mini deco holders:
Here is the base, covered with flowers. I later removed the waxflower because I wasn’t liking the color with everything else.
And I found some cool burgundy leucadendron lying around the studio to throw in – I thought this made the design a little big edgier and not as prissy as it was shaping up to be otherwise ; ) I also loved how the color echoed the dogwood branches:
And here are the two top pieces- this was after an unfortunate accident! I was very proud of my mechanics, and felt that everything was really securely anchored when I completed my design. As I started to roll my design out from under the tent to the open area where it would be critiqued though, the whole thing was chucked off of its cart and landed with a gigantic thud, smack on the floor. Most of the flowers in the foam cages were dislodged, and this was shot after a very hasty triage style re-design. I will admit that I almost cried ; ) What went wrong? I had completely forgotten how *high* those dogwood branches reached. One of them barely grazed the tent on its way out, but it was enough to catch, and flip the whole thing off of its cart. Needless to say, I learned a valuable lesson – no matter how structurally sound your design is, if it’s not delivered properly, nothing else matters!
Here’s the whole thing – looking at this now, I’d remove the plumosa from the base, which I think it making things overly busy and even a little….tropical or something. It was really fun to have an assignment where we could do anything we wanted, but only with the flowers that were on hand in the studio. Although I really wanted to try out some more advanced mechanics, I also wanted to design something that was in keeping with my style, and my favorite aspect of design is usually flower selection and combining colors and textures, so having a limited flower palette to work with was a good challenge for me!
Here are all three student large scale arrangement experiments:
That’s it for today! I’m going to do one last post inspired by this class next week, where I take a peek inside the school’s photo and video studio, link to some of my favorite of their free online tutorial videos, and share more thoughts about Blume Boxes!